This past Friday, my grandmother and I went to see my uncle who lives just north of Tampa. We had a great trip down there and back!
Saturday, my uncle took me and my cousin fishing in the Wikki Wachee river/spring which opens up to the Gulf of Mexico. It was super windy and I knew it would not be prime fishing, but I wanted to go anyway and anytime on a boat is a good time! Morgan had never been fishing so this was going to be a great experience for her...and as it ends up, a great experience for me! Let me guide you through our day...
We wake up, coffee, breakfast, chitchat, etc. Not in any hurry to leave, we were just taking our time. Once we decide to get going, Morgan and her unknowing ways of humor, start to kick in. We get in the truck and she realizes that she does not have her license. She starts going through her paperwork from her car to see if she can find something with her license number on it so she can still get her fishing license. Keep in mind that we are still sitting in the driveway. Then she just says that she won't fish. With that decided, we start heading out and as we are doing this, she casually looks behind us and says "oh, there's a boat behind us!" Well, duh, we are going fishing! She's a nut! So back to her drivers license issue, I say to her dad, "has she always been like this?" He said yes and the she was like him...as we are turning around to go back to the house for something he forgot! Ok...maybe one day we will get to the water!
Once again, we start heading out. On our way to Wally World to get our license, she finds her driver's license number on paper work so she is able to get a fishing license. Get all that squared away and picked up a case of water and a few of my favorite Walmart brand white grape waters.
Moving on along, we are finally on the water. Morgan asks if she could drive the boat...at this point, I am a little nervous...but not near as nervous as when I hear the words "Dad, why is the boat going this way?" and as we both look up she is headed toward the ONLY pole out in the water and we miss it by about two feet! No more driving for her!! :)
Fishing away, we are catching absolutely nothing! I don't care though, it's way better than being stuck inside all day. We reel it in for a bit to ride up the river and site see the river houses. One day, I will have one! While we were on our site seeing tour, we decided to stop and fish in a little area...this is where my experience of the day comes in! I am minding my own business in the back corner of the boat. Now, granted it had been windy and I had on a recently purchased hat that Morgan deemed appropriate. All of the sudden, my hat goes flying off my head and into the water. I mean WAY out in the water. I didn't even see any air time that my hat had, this all happened so quickly! I told them that was a weird gust of wind because for it to have taken my hat off, I sure didn't feel anything on my skin and how odd it was for the gust just to be head level! It landed about 30 feet in front of Morgan and she exclaimed that she would get it for me. Ok, fine by me. I wasn't worried about it. She began doing an excellent job of reeling in my hat! I was so surprised and thankful of her new found fishing skills. Without missing a beat she brought my hat up close to the boat. However, that is when we realized what happened. The reason she was doing it so well is because her hook was deeply intertwined within my hat and it got that way because she hooked me when she went to cast! There was no gust of wind! Thank goodness I was wearing a hat or I would have lost my eye! I think Jeff was a little grateful I was too because when I was talking to him later that night, he told me that while I could pull off many things, he didn't think I could pull off an eye patch. Gotta agree with him on that...
As we started back toward the landing, my uncle told me to let him know when I got ready to go. I told him that he better not leave it up to me or we would be there till dark. He kinda giggled, but I was serious. Finally, I did catch something. A blue crab...that got loose in the boat before I could get it off the line...that began pinching and coming toward me. Now, I do not mind getting dirty, or taking fish off the hooks, or baiting my own hook, but pinching crabs??? No, I don't think so! I don't like to be pinched by a person, much less an animal who's defense method IS pinching!! After my uncle got it off the boat he informed me that we were leaving. Begrudgingly I said ok.
Sunday morning, my grandmother and I left around lunch time and made it back to T-ville around 5-ish. She ended up staying with me until today. I enjoyed her so much over the last four days! Really makes me want to look at moving back home...or in that area. Guess I will just have to wait until that perfect opportunity arises and see where a few other life details are at that point. Hopefully not 3,000 miles away!
Here are a few photos from this weekend:
| My pretty little pinchin' crab! |
| Wikki Watchee |
| Morgan and her catch of the day! |
![]() |
| Morgan and I |
Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go administer a corrective behavior lesson to my dog who decided to eat my Costa sunglasses while I was typing my blog. He's whining in his cage, but he will be whining more in a bit...

No comments:
Post a Comment