Thursday, January 31, 2013

Observing the Sunset

This afternoon, I was able to mark two more items off my "30 Before 30" list.  After looking at my list again and realizing how quickly my birthday is approaching it was a relief to be able to mark off two today.  Number 12, 360 Observation Wheel at the beach and 14, Pensacola Beach sunset, are both complete.

A few weeks ago, I took advantage of a special the observation wheel was promoting about purchasing tickets between 4-6pm, but able to use them at any time during the month of January.  After driving out to the beach after work one afternoon and arriving at a nerving 5:45 pm, I realized that I had driven into a parking lot of a business that was closed.  Thanks to the technology of smartphones, I was able to quickly find their phone number and give them a call to see what was up.  After a persistent discussion (on my end) and pointing out that they were promoting a certain "time frame" and were they "not going to honor a promotion" that is clearly stated on Facebook and their website and closing with "I drove 40 minutes out of my way to take full advantage of this promotion" one of the workers meet me out in the parking lot with two comped tickets!  Sweet!  They were very nice about the whole ordeal and I do understand why they were closing early (it was SO foggy that day/afternoon/night), but it's the principle of honoring an advertisement.

Libbie and Abbie ventured out with me on this trip and we had a great time watching the sunset and enjoying the ride.  While I think we rode the wheel at the absolute best time of the day, my only complaint is that their gondola glass should be made of something that is easy to capture pictures through since they won't let you open a window!











 I also had another reason to go out to the quaintness of the beach today.  Today is a very special day to me; my Paw Paw's birthday.  I never knew him to go to the beach, so I don't really know why I chose to go there today, but there is something about a sunset over God's beautiful creation that makes you feel close to those that have gone before us.  It's almost symbolic in the way the Sun comes up for a day and sets a night, which could be related to our lives and how we live and thrive as much as we can and as much as God will allow us to "during the day" but in the end, we are called home to our Father and we take what light we put into the world out "sunset/night."  Some people put in sunny days, others produce rainy, stormy, foggy, etc. days, but all my days with Paw Paw were sunny.  What kind of day are you?


Not a day goes by, that I don't miss your face
Your sky blue eyes and your warm embrace.
Years have passed now, but I miss you still
With all your love, my heart would fill.
Now there's an emptiness, a void, a hole
But I know that you had a Godly soul.
So today, I am sure, birthday blessings were poured
At the best party ever, with Our God, Our Lord.
With your Heavenly Father, you turned the big 8-1
And joyously heard "Happy Birthday, Son."
Wear your crown proudly, so starry, so bright
And know you are forever in my memory's sight.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment