Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mid Week Rant

While filling up my truck the other day, I noticed a sign at the gas pump that said "Please do not leave pump unattended while pumping." There comes a time in every conversation I am engaged in that I totally lose all focus on the topic at hand because my counterpart within the conversation said something that either 1) I totally do not agree with or 2) worded it wrong and does not make any sense. While I do recognize I was not having a conversation with anyone at the gas pump I suddenly became completely oblivious to how much my tank of gas was costing me because I was stuck on this stupid "warning label" and this is why...

Let me restate it for you "Please do not leave pumps unattended while pumping." I have one question for you...when have you ever been able to leave something and STILL be able to attend to it? Exactly. There is no way you can ever leave anything and it NOT be unattended. Once you step away from it, it is rendered unattended. You can't leave it and it still be attended to. Even if you had people with you. If one from the group leaves, it doesn't matter because there are others there to attend to it. The words "leave" and "unattended" are too similar to try to use both within a warning message about gas pumping.

That's my rant for the week...actually it has been bothering me for a few weeks. My co-worker, Kim, had to hear about it for about 20 minutes the other day. Bless his heart...but when he starts making "mouth talking" motions with his hands, I realize that is my cue to shut up about whatever it is I am yapping about. My other clue to shut up is when he turns off the radio...he once asked me "what did you do with all that money?" "What money?" I asked. He said "all that money your parents spent on singing lessons cause obviously you didn't use it on lessons!" I now take my "Bless his heart" back...he gives me hell some days...like when he said I had that 'kind' hair. I asked (like an idiot) what that was and he said that kind that's found on dogs asses...so yeah, it's more like Bless MY Heart!!

And yes, I realize that I put too much thought into the smallest things, but that should also let you know how much thought I put into the big issues within my life. Especially in debates. I may let it go for a bit, but just a fair warning, I'm still thinking about the issue and it is not always benificial to revist past debates (because I will probably call you out on a few things) unless they are very important topics that need to be resolved. I am not a dweller but I am a thinker and I am not an arguer but don't provoke me, please. Side note: Another phrase that gets me every time is "Can I ask you a question?" Well....considering that, in itself, was a question you really didn't give me a choice, now did you? "Can" should be replaced with "Let" if you must use that phrase...at least then it will become a statement and not a question.

No comments:

Post a Comment