This weekend, I traveled to Savannah to experience something I have always wanted to experience....St. Patrick's Day in Savannah. Every time I have ventured over there, I hear the people on the guided tours, or on advertisement paraphernalia, talk about this celebration. I had two of my best girl friends from back home join me on this excursion. I think I was really just happy to have two people from home with me! Just seeing people you know gives you a feeling of comfort. Speaking of people from home, we were also able to meet up with a guy we went to school with. I have known him basically my whole life, Brandy met him in 9th grade and Ashley married a guy that went to high school with us, so we all have a little connection!
On Wednesday morning, I heard the Albany news say that Savannah was expecting between 700,000-1,000,000 people. I immediately texted Brandy and told her what I had just heard. We all agreed, we may hate it by Sunday, but we will at least be able to say we've been there and done that! In all reality, it wasn't that bad. I had prepared myself for the worst: annoying drunk people, throw up, shoulder to shoulder people, etc. River Street gradually got worse and we did leave around 3pm to head back to Tybee. We stayed out on the island and took a trolley in to Savannah due to the issue of parking. I really didn't come across anyone that was rude, no one threw up on me (thank God!) and no one was belligerent while we were there. Granted, I am sure that if we stayed till late that night/early morning, our experience would have been completely different!
 |
| Me, Brandy & Ashley in line for the trolley |
 |
| A portion of the 5 hour parade...I watched probably 15 mins of it... |
 |
| Some dude blowing into a piece of wood...weird, but sounded really cool |
 |
| River Street, minutes before we decided to leave |
 |
This has nothing to do with Savannah, but this was Bentley this afternoon watching Animal Planet's Wild Russia...he got as close as he could!
Savannah on St. Patricks Day...Was it a good experience, yes. Would I do it again, possibly, but probably not. |
No comments:
Post a Comment