Sunday, February 5, 2012

To Fast or not to Fast....

Today, I finally made it back to my favorite little church in Georgia.  I have missed it greatly.  I really do enjoy going and it seems that the preacher gets better every time.  Now, it will never take the place of my home church, but it is a close second...or third.  I say that to say this; I think one of the main reasons I love going to this church is because it reminds me of the two churches we went to in Dutch Bend.  There were two because it was the same (small) congregation that went back and forth to these two churches.  However, they were different denominations (Baptist and Methodist, I think) and different preachers, but same congregation, weird, I know.

What makes me relate the two is one "activity" that is done during church.  Children's story time, but more so, the lady who does it, Ms. Helen.  There is something about her simplicity that reminds me of some of the women in DB.  I remember going to the Methodist Church more than the other and this one particular time, I only remember it being me and daddy.  The preacher called all the children down front for children's time and his example, this one particular time, was trying to figure out what was inside a brown grocery side.  We got to feel the content inside and if we guessed it right, we got to keep it.  I guessed sand.  It was not.  I don't remember what it was, for some reason I want to say it was a cabbage patch doll, but that doesn't make sense since I was probably the only girl unless Leigh Ann was there, so why would the preacher get a girl gift?  Anyway, I don't remember the lesson, but I do remember the brown paper bag, sitting up front, and one-on-one time with the preacher that made us feel special out of the whole crowd of "grown ups."  Now, I am one of those "grown-ups" and I hope these little kids remember the same kind of experience.  After describing what the preacher did, I am sure that we all can guess what the lesson was about.  Ms. Helen does a great job because she uses illustrations or props.  Obviously, this is what gets my attention more than just speaking to me.  I am still that way today.  Tell me and I will forget, involve me and I will remember. 

Today the sermon was from Ephesians 2:1-10.  This basically talks about how we, as people, were dying from our transgressions and sins but through His grace we are saved.  It is a gift from God, not from each other. Being saved is not something that we do for each other, it is what God has DONE for US.  Of course, we can help each other toward the path of being saved, but we can't force it upon one another.  Listening to this passage this morning made me start thinking about Lent.  No, I am not Catholic, but God sent His Son for us and that is the ultimate sacrifice so 40 days of giving something up is something that all should participate in.  In the whole scheme of things what would you choose? A measly 40 days or your child?  I don't have children, but I am still a woman with motherly instincts and I am telling you right now that I couldn't do it. 

Fasting is referenced in mainly in the New Testament, and more specifically, Matthew 6:16-18 talks about fasting and how it should be done in secret, seen by your Father who will reward you.  So, I won't be telling you what I plan to do for Lent (although I did tell Ashley and Libbie, after a discussion), but I do encourage you all to take this time to focus to what you might give up for 40 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment