Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weekend Wonders...

Today, I started (& finished) my little project of redoing a mirror.  I had many thoughts on what my weekend project would be.  At first, I was looking for an old bakers rack to fix up and use as a make shift herb garden for this spring and keep in out on my balcony.  However, since I got this wild idea on Friday, I really did not give myself much time to get everything together!  I asked Carolyn to take me over to their church's rummage sale storage unit to see if there was one there.  No bakers rack, however, I did see this diamond in the rough...

This little beauty was hiding in the back and I had a few thoughts about.  One was to just paint it and the paint the mirror to be a chalkboard, however, it is too big to hang anywhere Ash and I could actually use it. So, then I decided to actually use it as a mirror.  How appropriate, right?

I went to Lowe's this morning and found the paint I wanted.  When I get in these moods, I envision where I will be using it and what color scheme. I envisioned deep burgundy with gold accents. Once I finally get new furniture, which is probably a still a good year or two away, I would like dark brown leather couches with deep, rich colors pillows and gold accents...I can see it in my head...don't worry!

I found my paint, but ended up having to go to Hobby Lobby for the stencil and gold accent paint I wanted.  After thinking deeply about what stencil to use, I finally left one of my favorite stores and came home to start making some progress!!

After I lightly sanded it down, I began applying two coats of paint to it.
It looks pink, but it's not!

 After letting it dry for a few hours, I finally added the stencils.  That is the biggest pain ever!!  My stencil skills are a little off and need some brushing up on but I managed to finally get them looking decent.  Not perfect, but decent.  After doing the top detail, I noticed it was tilted a little and should be shifted less than an inch to the left, but I was not doing it over again.  I also didn't take the mirror off, which I should have since it would have been easier to paint, but I don't have the tools to put it back on...Just don't look closely at it!

Well, here's the final project...


My next project is to paint the table it is on black and change the runner out to a new pattern, or leave it off completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment